Saturday, June 20, 2009

fathers

When I was a girl, we spent a lot of time at the ball field. Baseball filled spring and summer days and football filled the fall. My dad was always there, never missing a game and sometimes being the coach. I remember one evening when we were at a football game. My dad was doing what he always did--walking the sidelines and cheering on the local team while talking to some of his buddies. I was doing what I always did, running around playing.

I must have needed something because I went up and started tugging on my dad's pant leg or at least I thought it was his leg! Instinctively, I looked up about the same time that the owner of the leg looked down.........and I had the wrong daddy! Whew, boy....was I ever glad to see that my own dad was just on the other side of me, looking down, too, smiling.

As I reminisced about this event today, I thought about how sometimes I tug at the wrong leg when I seek the guidance of my heavenly Father. I think I am asking for His direction only to realize that it was not His answer I was seeking, but my own. However, just like that little girl, am I ever glad that He stands beside me at the ready to rescue me from myself. He knows my every need and desire; He wants what is best for me, and wants me to be my best.......just like my earthly father did.

Isaiah 64:8 MSG
Still, God, you are our Father. We're the clay and you're our potter: All of us are what you made us.



I'm glad that I was given the example of love from my earthly father who is now worshiping at the feet of my heavenly Father. I know that someday I will meet up with him again, and he will be more than willing to show me around his new home.

I am also grateful that my children were given this gift as well. My husband loves our children with a love so deep that it could only have come from God. Thank you, honey, for the sacrifices that you make for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment