Saturday, July 31, 2010

friends are friends forever take 2

Vidalia, home of the sweet onion, and also the second stop on my trip to south Georgia. I lived in Vidalia when I was in middle school, so this was not only a time of visiting, it was a serious blast from the past!
First stop: Lynn's house. We talked and talked and talked into the night about everything and nothing. I got caught up on her life and she on mine. Her husband, Gerald, came in around 9ish and took me by surprise. He looks exactly the same.....which is mostly funny because I had seen a picture on Lynn's FB page and thought that was him. However, at the time I also remember thinking to myself.....I really don't remember Gerald looking like the unabomber....so, happily that wasn't him...because, honestly I was a little afraid!

The next day, we embarked on a "tour" of Vidalia. This took about ten minutes as Vidalia isn't a big town...to say the least. It was fun, though, because I took lots of pictures from days of old. We also went by her church, Lyons First Baptist, who recently completed a 3 million dollar children's building...oh yeah, I was seriously coveting! I have lots and lots of pics for you pastor's wives of that thing!It is really something to behold!

Lynn is a retired teacher (31 years) and was working as a consultant, so I was able to really pick her brain on many literacy issues and ideas to use for my new library.  This picking of the brain? Yeah, that will be an on-going thing......hate it for her!!

So, without further ado, here's my true "blast from the past"

This is the house we lived in.
The "old" Tripp middle school
More of the middle school


The "old" Darby gym. This is also where we saw many wrestling matches...like the Rick Flair type!



and this is Lynn! 


It was so much fun to see her and see the town again. I have many fond memories of living there. The word "community" actually means something to these people! If you ever go through there or are going by and can make a detour.....do and stop at the Steeplechase for lunch or dinner....it is quite worth it!

I'll be posting the pics from the children's building soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment