Thursday, July 15, 2010

shades of morning

Book and coffee shop owner Marnie Wittier lives on the opposite end of the country from where she grew up; she needs that much distance from her past. But her past won't stay away; her estranged sister, Rose, dies and Marnie is named guardian of Rose's 15-year-old son, Emmit, who has Down syndrome. Another complication: Rose's attorney is Taylor Cole, whom Marnie once loved. The complicated family history unreels in the narrative, alternating with Marnie's learning to cope with the sweet and very challenging Emmit.



I recently read Shades of Morning by Marlo Schalesky for which a synopsis is given above. I was drawn to the characters almost immediately. Each character has depth and holds his or her own within the storyline.

However, the story takes some unpredictable turns that cause confusion for the reader. I cannot say too much without giving the entire plot away, but suffice it to say that the ending is a huge surprise, and left me feeling a bit cheated mostly because while the plot is true enough to life, the ending gets a bit bizarre.

Reading this book will cause you to think about how you deal with regrets, forgiveness, and relationships. There are many, many great moments in the book when characters have revelations that are life-changing and profound. I know that I reevaluated some of my own feelings about some things after and while I read.

I would highly recommend this book for those who like Christian fiction....there are many, many wonderful references to how our relationship with Jesus correlates with our relationships with others.....and also for those who just like to read a book for the entertainment value. It is, certainly, entertaining even with the disconcerting ending.

I received a copy of this book from Multnomah Publishers in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment