Sunday, March 7, 2010

relationships review

This week, I read two books on relationships. The first one was Dancing with My Father by Sally Clarkson. When I first saw the title, I thought the book would be about a daughter's relationship with her dad. However, it focuses on your relationship with your heavenly Father. The book included a study guide to help you analyze the aspects brought out in each chapter. This relationship should be joyous, and that is the point the author makes in this book. Through her life's experiences, she takes you through her own relationship and how it changed once she let go of her preconceived notions of what she thought God expected of her. I really liked the section on letting go of worry. The book is a bit disjointed, however, in the way it is written. Each individual chapter did not flow into the other for me, so I found it hard to become very invested in what the author wanted to convey.

The second was Mother-Daughter Duet by Cheri Fuller and Ali Plum. This book is written by Cheri (the mom) and Ali (the daughter) as a very real look into their relationship and how they can strengthen it. I found it interesting since I didn't have a good relationship with my mom, and strive to break that cycle with my own two daughters. I liked their insight into letting go and what it feels like for each of them to do that. As the mother of two adult daughters who are entering into that phase of their lives that will take them on paths way different from mine, it's important that I understand how my actions and reactions will affect my relationships with them going forward. Each author shares candid emotions and experiences that helped them to realize that they needed to reform their relationship to make it into something more cohesive. They give practical suggestions for building that bond.

These books were provided by http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/ for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment