Sunday, November 8, 2009

christmas

It's just too early, isn't it? Everywhere I look there's tinsel, trees, lights, and gifts for me to purchase. I do love Christmas, but come on......can we have a little thankfulness first?? Thanksgiving is probably my absolute favorite holiday. It's the ONE day a year when my family has a plan. We eat, we go to the movies,we eat, we play cards, we eat, we plan our black Friday outing, we eat, are you getting the picture? Mostly, though, it's the time when we STOP and remember. I think about the Thanksgivings when my parents were alive......so we remember those we love and lost. Steve thinks about the Thanksgivings from his childhood before things got complicated.....and we laugh at how he got to swim in Florida and run from house to house. Our kids think about the fun things we've done this year, and remind us that they are growing up. But, mostly, we just ARE. WE are together.

I do love Christmas..................but, take the time to be thankful first. Resist the temptation to succumb to the world in this one area. Remember whose you are and what HE did for you to have what you have. Then, and only then, will you truly be able to enjoy Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patty--
    Stop by The Secret Life anytime and we can chat. Or if you're on facebook we can be friends there.
    Have a great day.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty-Thanks for commenting over at my blog.

    I agree with you. It seems like we go straight from Halloween to Christmas...I hate that being thankful has somehow fallen off the radar! We love Thanksgiving around our house...spending time with family, eating, and thinking about everything we have to be thankful for.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete