Friday, May 1, 2009

looking to the Father

I love the movie, Facing the Giants. I have seen it like 20 times at least, and I cry every time at the same places like I don't know what is going to happen.

We watched it again tonight, and as always, I noticed things that I hadn't noticed before. For example, the coach's car has cardboard instead of glass for one of the windows and his grill is held onto the car with duct tape. Too funny!

However, I also noticed something else tonight. One of my favorite characters is David. He's the back-up kicker for the team who's never played football before (he played soccer). His dad is in a wheelchair, and encourages David to try out for the team because the school doesn't have a soccer team.

What I noticed was this: every time David gets into the game to kick a field goal, he looks to the sideline for his father, and HIS FATHER IS ALWAYS THERE! This got me to thinking (and I am sure that it was suppose to) that just like David's father in the movie, our Heavenly Father is always there when we look to Him. Just like David, we should be looking to Him every time.

There have been so many times that I have not looked for the Father, and yet wondered where He was. If only I had looked! I would have seen Him there cheering me on!

At the end of the movie, David's father has to move to the end zone so David can see him. I love this line, "I'm standing for my son." Don't you think Jesus has said those same words for us? He has stood in Satan's path and protected us from the giants who seek to destroy.

I'm so grateful that I have Him to stand for me.

1 comment: