Tuesday, March 22, 2011

are you there, God? it's me, Patty

Do you remember that book by Judy Blume, Are You There, God? It's Me Margaret. It was one of my favorites when I was a teen. I related to Margaret in many ways.
Have you ever felt like maybe God had forgotten who you were or what was going on with you? I know I have! I use to think He didn't like me very much because things just never seem to go my way. However, as I've gotten older, I realize that He alone sees the BIG picture, while my view is very limited.

I've had many moments over the past few months when I thought, I can blog about that.... but I never did because I didn't want my blog to sound like a while-fest. Today, though, I'm going to let you in on what has been going on in this parsonage since the beginning of 2011. It may sound like whining at first, but hang with me.....there's blessings to come!

1. Our stove went out. This was a saga unto itself.....long-story-short......waited three weeks for new one which once installed didn't work. Had repairman come out, worked for two weeks, stopped working again. Steve launches campaign against Lowe's which results in new stove #2 being delivered and installed.

2. Our dryer went out.

3. Our big screen TV died.

4. I was diagnosed with lupus which resulted in a drastic diet change which to say has been difficult would be an understatement.

5. Steve was diagnosed with gout.

6. Our van went on the fritz again.

7. My library assistant had a stroke.

8. Luke pulled a tendon in his wrist.

9. We lost a friend to cancer.

So, where's the blessing in all of that, you ask?

Well, let me tell ya!

1. & 2. We live in the parsonage. So, the church obviously paid for the stove. The church doesn't have to provide a dryer, but they chose to anyway so we didn't have to come off any money to purchase the new one. All-in-all just inconveniencing.

3. We had just received our tax refund, and while we weren't planning on spending any of it on a new TV...or anything for that matter.....at least, we were able to replace it.....and we found a GREAT deal!

4. I need to lose weight anyway, and I am down ten pounds since this started. I am also learning to not beat myself up over little missteps along the way which has always been a downfall of mine when trying to lose.

5. Luke had to drive Steve to Urgent Care because I was out of town. The blessing in this is that Luke realized that hanging out with dad having a movie marathon could be a cool thing. They really enjoyed their time together.....just the guys.

6. Well, it's hard for me to find the blessing in this van, but it is paid for and something can be said for that! However, I do believe I will be purchasing a new car...maybe today.

7. Linda is showing the world how tough she is, and how much love plays a part in healing. Her family and friends are surrounding her with enough love to have her running marathons in the fall (but all she really wants is to go to her daughter's wedding in Oct.)

8. Okay, so maybe there's not a blessing in EVERYTHING! haha (could the blessing be a little less practicing trumpet, sax, and flute at midnight?)

9. Allen's life was a blessing as was evidenced at his service. He touched many, many people and while we miss him here....we all know he wouldn't come back for anything.

The Lord is our strength. He is our protector. He keeps His promises, and I am holding Him to that! I know that He has something BIG in store for us because Satan is trying to bring us down.

If things seem to be going in the wrong direction for you, remember that God sees what lies ahead, and His ways need to be our ways. He will never steer us wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Some years are like that, but you do have blessings--3 beautiful children, a great husband, and friends who love you.
    I do hope we can meet up this year after school is out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I've felt like that!! Glad you are able to see the blessings in the trials!! Hugs to you and your fam!

    ReplyDelete