Tuesday, July 28, 2009

my sister's keeper

So, I've started reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I am normally a fast reader, but this book is taking me a while to get through. The story kinda makes me mad, and it makes me ask questions of myself that I can't answer.

To what lengths would I go to save my child?

Would I desert the other children I have to focus on the sick one?

Could I, morally, fashion a child who is in essence made for the sole purpose of providing body parts for another?

I actually have had to put the book down several times because the mom in the book just grates on my nerves. I'm glad that I don't have to answer those questions. I've seen, first hand, the impact it has on a child to be the forgotten one when siblings are lost. It hurts, and leaves chaos in its wake. It fractures the one unit that should be steady and good and whole.

I thought I wanted to see the movie, now I'm not so sure. Have you read this one or seen the movie? How did it affect you?

2 comments:

  1. I read this book, in fact I've read most of her books and she always has problems like this. But I think this is the worst. There was a family in California that did this, had a child to be a donor for their other child, and I thought it was awful, but then again what wouldn't I do to save my child? I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that. Finish the book, it will surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also read several of her books, but this was the saddest. I have a group of girlfriends who want to go see the movie (and they've read it), and as much as I want to get out with the girls, I'm just not sure I can watch it. :(

    ReplyDelete