Friday, April 1, 2011

bullying

bullying.....it's becoming or actually, has already become, a buzzword in the media and at schools. All one has to do is just mention that their child is being bullying and everyone stands to attention. Now, nobody wants any child to be picked on, mind you.....especially not me, but a lot of times the one crying foul is the one who instigates the trouble!

We've all encountered bullies......at school, at work, at church, in the store.....they're everywhere. They want their way, RIGHT NOW, and they try to intimidate those around them to get it. They all share one common trait, though, and that is they generally back down when confronted.

In our lives, right now, we have a bully in our midst. He wants what he wants and doesn't care who he hurts in the process. Unfortunately, he's hurt a lot of people, most of them kids....even his own.....with his intimidation tactics and unwillingness to try to cooperate. It's really a shame.

We've tried praying for him, being nice to him, and trying to rationalize with him to no avail. We are at our wits end. There seems to be no easy way to deal with him, and the sad thing is that "bullying" is the word he started crying when he set out on this path of destruction. His kid was being "bullied". HA!

I am not a patient person, and my patience has run out. So, my question is....how can we avoid destructive speech and how can we work together to ward off those who want to tear apart a group? I went to the Bible to look for answers, and this is what I found:

  • In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant. Ps. 143:12
  • But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, Matt. 5:44
  • "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, Luke 6:27
  • But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Luke 6:35
 Now, let me tell ya! When I read that first verse, I thought, Yeah! destroy him!! BUT, then I read the rest of the verses and especially the last part of Luke 6:35 which truly spoke to me. Jesus Christ is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. We can't stop praying and loving just because this guy doesn't take to our ideas. I can't expect my son who has been hurt throughout this process to love this kid if I don't love his father (and right now, I'm still working on it!).

Oh...even after reading and contemplating, I am still angry. I will have to allow the Lord to take the anger from me.....but I won't stop praying for this guy and his family (who probably need our prayers) just because he continues on his path of destruction. I've said all year that I'd love to see a miracle happen and this family come to know the ONE TRUE GOD. But, how will they ever, if we don't show them?

Funny how I started this post expecting it to be a complete rant about someone who makes me ANGRY....and am ending it no longer that upset. God sees the future. He knows what is best for Luke and his musical conquests....so I know that if Steve and I continue to seek the face of God in this matter, that He will guide us through. One man, especially not a servant of Satan (because if we are not for God, we are against Him), can come between God's plan and His people. And, if you don't believe me just ask Pilate or Pharaoh!

2 comments:

  1. Patty, our lives are so much alike!! I have a neighbor who has been so ugly to us. We had to give our last puppy to the animal shelter bc he complained so much about her. He actually came to the church one Wednesday night and CHEWED ME OUT in front of other church members and all of the kids because he thought the kids were too out of control. I've prayed about it and I felt like God said so clearly to me, "His soul is more important then your feelings." Wow. That's been a tough lesson!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such people are so sad and we can't change them, all we can do is control how we respond, and to do what's right. I have a family member like this, thankfully not living nearby, but I pray for her because I know her anger is just a reflection of how sad she is.

    ReplyDelete